Sunday, May 27, 2012








Because its a holiday weekend and we've been enjoying it to the fullest, I'll keep this entry short and to the point.

 Safi had a great week at school. I had my last day at big girl school and now I'm out for summer. It was a great day and I even asked a girl in my class to play ball with me. My speech therapist set that as a goal for me 2 classes ago and I was finally ready. She said yes and we tossed the ball back and forth two times! I was very brave, just like the social story Teacher Mari made for me about Buzz and Jessie being brave and asking friends to play. Everyone was proud of me and I was proud of me, too!

Mom's birthday was interesting.  Safi and I were both having an off day so it was a bit dicey.  However, it ended on a high note with a sushi dinner and cupcakes!

 Mom and dad finally got my psychological report back from the Regional Center evaluation. The following are highlights from the 10 page report:
"Test Results:
Chronological Age: 2yr10m
Mental Age: 4yr10m
IQ:  155+

At the time of testing Nixi's chronological age was 4 years 10 months, with a mental age of 4 years 10 months. Her IQ performance score fell outside the standardized normative samples used in both the original  and Arthur Adaptation forms of the Leiter.  By estimation using the two scoring systems as reference, Nixi's performance yielded an IQ score of 155, at minimum, placing her overall nonverbal intellectual functioning in the genius range."

My scores on the Childhood Autism Rating Scale-Second Edition (CARS2) which is used to differentiate autism from other types of developmental disabilities, as well as assess level of severity of autism symptoms.  There are 15 different areas commonly associated with autism that are scored from 1-4, 1 being normal - 4 being severely abnormal..with a maximum score of 60 possible.  Severe being a score of 36 or higher, with a score of at least 3 in 5 areas.  Nixi scored mostly 4's, with a couple of three in 14 areas.  The 15th area being verbal communication where she scored a 1.5
"Total CARS2 score = 53
Nixi's overall score indicates that she is exhibiting severe symptoms of autism spectrum disorder."

In reference to DSM(psychological diagnostic manual) criteria for Classic Autism:
"According the DSM-IV-TR, at least 6 criteria must be met to qualify for an Autistic Disorder diagnosis.   Nixi met 11 out of 12 criteria."

Diagnoses

Axis I  299.00  Autistic disorder

Axis II  V71.09 No Diagnosis (Genius Nonverbal Intelligence with Mildly Impaired Adaptive Skills

"Although Nixi appears to be cognitively superior at this time, her overall presentation and current level of adaptive and social capabilities suggests an increased risk of falling further behind in her development."

Then the psychologist recommended I continue with current services, address sensory issues with a qualified Occupation Therapist, etc.

So, I'm a brain inside this confusing little shell just waiting for someone to bust me out!  I'm sure mom and dad will find the key to my world and make a terrific bridge leading back to theirs.

This week is lots of excitement.  Dad is off from work all week, Safi has water fun day at school and I get to go, Safi's last day of preschool is Thursday, and Friday night we get to go the zoo!!  Its called Dreamnight at the Zoo, 32 countries participate in it the first Friday of June every year.  The park opens from 5-8PM just for families of kids with special needs.  We're really excited!!  So, make sure you check back in next week to see how it all went down!

Peace
Nixi

The super magical, totally awesome, never boring, uber amazing new popcorn popper!!!


Safi singing a song that Teacher Mel sings at school...."You got a line, I got a pole X....you got a line, I got a pole X.  You got a line, I got a pole we'll got down to the xx hole, honey..baby of mine!"

No comments:

Post a Comment