Monday, December 26, 2011

A wonderful, painful, exciting, and scary Christmas...








Wow, what a Christmas! This entry is a day late because I couldn't type yesterday. While the morning was wonderfully magical, my afternoon was spent in the ER with mom. Safi got to stay home and play with dad, and I got to take one of my xmas toys with me...but it was a DRAG! See, I'm a prolific thumb sucker. Yeah, lots of kids do it...but I do it A LOT and vigorously. See, I know I look all bubbly and carefree on the outside but I'm actually very anxious and scared most of the time. As a matter of fact, I tell mom that I'm scared at least hourly most days. So, my thumb sucking is serious business, and constant, because it helps me regulate and feel better. Like all things, anything in moderation is ok...in excess, not so good. I ended up getting a massive infection in my thumb and the tissue down to my wrist called cellulitis. In the beginning if the week mom noticed a bump on my thumb but it looked like a callous. By Saturday it was a little red, but it looked like it was red from my teeth. By xmas morning it was broken and really red. By 10am in ulcerated and half of my hand turned red, purple, and blue. ER was no fun but I got antibiotics and today its looking a little better. Despite the pain, I really enjoyed my xmas...as you see in the awesome xmas video montage!

A little side note about how some kids with autism and/or sensory processing disorder experience of pain. It is theorized that kids like me and Safi are sort of constantly in pain to one extent or another. Whether it be pain from our pant legs rubbing against our ankles, seams in socks, loud noises, fluorescent lights...we're just really sensitive. Experiencing all of the many environmental assaults we're faced with daily is really too much to handle. So, we habituate to the sensation of pain or discomfort. The result is that it really takes a heck of an injury or pain to get us to take notice or complain. A blessing and a curse.

Ok, so the rest of the week was actually really good. We were cool with there being no school or programming. Heather still came and she even brought her niece, our Friend Liz, one day. We did some shopping, we bought gifts for daddy, and we did a lot of xmas crafts. A good week.

Wanting to send a special thank you to everyone for our amazing gifts and mula! Some highlights, not at all inclusive, but some of our FAV's: Aunt Becky made us all shawls (check out the pic!), Uncle Randy and Aunt Kathy sent us toys from their trip to Germany, Nana Cummings got us singing Chipmunks, Uncle Seth and Aunt Cory sent us a Barbie RV, Grandpa and Grandma Seifert sent us $$$, and so did Grandpa Cummings, Weishi, and Cate! We plan to use our mula for some Big Lots excursions, and to save for a rainy day! THANK YOU ALL! We love you very much and truly appreciate how very much you love us!

So, I'm off...a little disjointed, this post...I'm on a lot of med's, give me a break! Off to pass out and heal!

Peace out....see you NEXT YEAR!!!
Nixi

The Christmas montage.......

No comments:

Post a Comment