Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy 4th of July!!!!





Great news! Mom made me a social story book about how I should and shouldn't behave at summer school, they did the "all done" ritual before moving on to the week's new theme, and I had an absolutely AMAZING week at summer school! I did great, I enjoyed myself, and no meltdowns! Even with my swinging before I leave the park ritual being disrupted I was able to pull it together so I could stand in line with my friends and sing the goodbye song. I've never in my life been able to recover so wonderfully from a disruption in my swing/park ritual. Just a tremendous accomplishment, if I do say so myself!

Nixer had a fair week. She did ok at summer school but still isn't totally "back". The Occupational Therapist brought over a SPIO suit for Nixi to try...its an official compression garment, not like the binder she's been using. Now, the theory behind compression/deep pressure as well as weighted vests, etc is that when you're getting that proprioceptive input you are less likely to be stressed by, and to respond to, sensory stimuli. We can say this about the SPIO, it is either too little compression or the suit itself is too big so its not providing the right amount of compression because Nixi was WIRED for the two days she wore it. She couldn't stop moving, ever...total motor agitation. If she was on the couch she was sweeping her legs back and forth on the cushions...if she was in bed, she was making sheet angels and not sleeping at all...tired, heck no...she was energized, loud, and just generally a savage! :) Mom put the binder back on her and...voila...motor agitation gone. Sadly, she's been averaging one nuclear meltdown daily, nonetheless. Poor kid is still in the grips of it all. As mom's best friend and others who worked with me when I was Nixi's age have been pointing out...just about every new scary thing Nixi is going through is something I went through when I was 2. The great news about that is that I don't have those same concerns anymore so that means Nixi probably wont either. I guess I'm a little bit of a sneak peek when it comes to what to expect for Nixi. While we're so different, its mom and dad are shocked at how similar Nixi's path has been to my own.

We went shopping...check out our visual shopping list and try to figure out what we made!

Stumped?! Mom made Swai fish in red wine marinara with feta cheese and black and green olives. I even ate some...yeah, you read that right! Crazy, I know. I think it was the satisfaction of having been involved in the process of getting all the ingredients that made me do it...and I LIKED IT! :)


Its HOT up here, 106 today and in the 100's for the rest of the week. Mom painted our toenails "Racey Rouge", as fun for us to say as it is for us to wear! We'll get to do the water fountains in summer school this week and just have a blast. I just can't wait to see what this week brings! Hope you all have an amazing 4th of July, we will 'cuz dad's off and we all just get to hang out and have fun!

xoxo
Saf

Lot's of fun today in our pools!


Can somebody tell Nixi I'm NOT a horse...or pro wrestler?!


Check out Nixi making a call to her people...


Here's me tripping out on leaves in the pool...soooo cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment