Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rah Rah..Sis Boom Bah!






So, as you can see, mom got us some pom pom's. We think their pretty cool! Just in case that's not our thing...we also got a basketball hoop(check out the video!). Mom and dad figure its best to cast the net wide, know what I mean? Either way, we're having a blast with both.

We had a pretty great week. I have to say, I'm a little bit "off". I'm about due for a "cycle", so that in combination with coming off of winter break is proving to be a bit rough. See, kiddo's living with autism have periods where symptoms sort of spike and get worse. Some kids cycle more, some less...but we all do it. Its just part of autism. I cycle about every 3 to 3.5 months. My cycles usually last about a week or two...but can be shorter or longer depending on a bunch of things. Stress, overstimulation (even from really great stuff), sickness, etc are all things that usually make my cycle longer. Mom and dad have been keeping track of my cycles since I was 19 months...to look for patterns so they'll know when one is coming. Generally, when I'm due for one, they try to make sure we do activities that are less stimulating, sometimes I take probiotics, etc. Even though I've been like clock work with my cycling, its always a scary time for mom and dad. Autism seems to sort of plateu at about age 5 or so. So, while people with autism are always growing and changing just like everyone else, you kind of know what you're gonna get after 5. Until then, things can still change. Some kids lose skills they already had like talking, reading, running, social stuff, coping skills, etc. Some kids' anxiety gets worse, rituals more intense, and/or sensory stuff changes and gets scary. So, you can see why it scares mom and dad. They're always a little afraid I wont come out of a cycle and that what I'm experiencing will be my new "normal". When I cycle nothing is right. Everything seems to upset me. I scream and cry a lot. I get really physical with mom...its an all around miserable time. So far, I've come out of it each time with no changes. I literally wake up one morning and everything is back the way it was before the cycle. Pretty wacky stuff! So, this cycle mom and dad weren't able to insulate me...what, with coming off of break and changes in schedule and stuff. So its to be expected that it might take me a longer to come out of this one...but I'm on my way.

Can't come soon enough, 'cuz I have to go to the dentist tomorrow! Seems one of my top teeth is bothering me. We're gonna go to a dentist here in town...hey, if I'm gonna have a meltdown I may as well be local! My BIA consultant, Heather, is going with us...so mom will have an extra set of hands to help with Nixi. That's good! I'm sure it'll be ok. We'll see.

School last week was pretty darn good. I walked in on my own two feet all 3 days, and had a blast sliding down the slide with my friend Alex. She's cool.

Nixi had a great meeting with Heather and her Early Intervention case manager Susan. It was super fun and mom got a chance to brainstorm with both Heather and Susan at the same time...all in all a great thing. This week Susan will be back with the occupational therapist (OT) Jo and Nixi's Regional Center case manager Janie. I think they're all gonna brainstorm about Nixi's services. Mom is still trying to get Heather "official" with Nixi, and Nixi needs a regular OT schedule. She's supposed to getting OT twice a week and she's only had two times...ever. Its hard, we don't have a lot of free space in our schedule and the OT has even less free spots. Hopefully they'll come up with something.

Nixi got to go to the pet store while I was in school and pick out a toy for Winston. He's always there to give us a hand....

...or even a back. Nixi likes to show her appreciation and thanks...

..with small tokens, like some flowers or maybe a graham cracker! He's a really good dog, and a really good friend...even if he did eat one of our basketballs already!

So, that's that! Hope you all have a great week, and make sure to check back in next week to see how the dentist went!

xoxo
Saf

Pom Pom rule!


Basketball poses a number of challenges, particularly if you're too short for the hoop. You'll notice at the end of the video that Nixi came up with a solution..note her little "victory" boogie....


Having fun dancing with my 1st Easter bunny...still sings like crazy years later!

No comments:

Post a Comment