Sunday, January 16, 2011

Monkeys swinging.............







We're back! Everyone is feeling great and we had a jam packed week.

Saf is back in school. The first two days were a bit of a struggle, but by Thursday she was ready to roll. She walked in on her own two feet and had a great day! She was even super supportive of her friends during puzzle time telling them, "Great job, friends!"

I got to go to my early intervention appointment up at the therapy center. It was a little rocky. Saf was having some bowel issues, and I was trying to get back into the groove of things. All in all, it went pretty ok.

Looks like Saf's bowel issues are getting a little better under the new regimen. She pooped twice during the week....much better than once every 2 weeks! Mom's hopeful that we're on the right track.

I've started doing this horribly annoying thing where I "faux share". I go over to Saf, hold out a toy, say "share"...when she goes to take it, I pull it away and yell "no, no, no!" It confuses Saf, but she's pretty nice to me and doesn't just grab it or push me or anything. See, I want to engage Saf and show her what I'm doing but I'm not so sure how to do it. I understand the context in which the word "share" is used in a really general way...i.e. I usually hear the word said when kids are playing together having fun. So, I've been using it to try to initiate play. Unfortunately, though, it usually ends with me screaming and Saf not wanting to be around me. I'm missing some pieces of the social puzzle. I do the same thing with mom and dad. I bring something to them and either say "help" or "all done". When they put their hand out to take it I scream and get upset. Again, I really want to share things with them, I'm just not sure how to do it. Something we'll have to work on. Saf does something very similar. A lot of times when she wants to continue interacting with mom and dad she comes up with all of the nutty things to say or do to keep them near. The bummer, she drives them and herself nuts. She usually doesn't get the type of interaction she was wanting because she doesn't know how to ask for it, so mom and dad are hit and miss in meeting her needs. That's a lot of what makes her cry and feel sad...mom and dad, too. A lot of times people think that kiddos with autism don't want interaction and aren't social. Truth is, no matter how much they want it...if you try and try and fail over and over again you may eventually just give up trying. Hope Saf never does that...and I hope I don't either.

Today we got to go to the park with our friends Arlo, Flyn, and Greer. It was really fun. I had the best time watching Arlo and Flyn chasing their daddy and separating tiny rocks from dirt. Saf had a blast playing with these pea pod things off of some trees. It was a great afternoon.

Dad has the day off tomorrow so we're going to see the animals at Bravo Farms. Arlo, FLyn, and Greer are gonna meet us there and mom said we can get ice cream from their dairy shop. I CAN'T WAIT! It's gonna be GREAT!

So, here's to a nice 3 day weekend and a great short week!

Peace
Nixi

Mom made us a HUGE batch of playdough.........I like how it feels on my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment