Sunday, February 7, 2010

Life is just a pool of lovies!


So, we had a pretty good week. Lot's and lot's of rain, but we still managed to get in a park day mid-week. Mom and dad have decided they we're gonna stop the ABA services because I seem to do better when I don't have it. Mom will meet with the program director on Tuesday to talk about this and to ask if we can keep our supervisor, Jessica, as a consultant. Probably not, but it never hurts to ask. The other people in my Early Intervention team seem to think that the 2 hours/5 days a week taxes my already limited "I'm ok" stash. Boy, does it ever. I've been at this for over 10 months and its all kind of coming to a head. I try every way possible to tell mom and my BIA that its just not working for me. I try ignoring the BIA, humoring her, hiding in the bedroom, and when all else fails I have a full scale meltdown and bang my head, etc. Really, how many other way can I say this is too much for me right now? Luckily, mom and dad are finally listening.

So, I'll still have my speech and occupational therapy. The speech and OT have offered up their assistant to come Mon-Fri if mom wants, just to give her another set of hands and a new friendly face for me. We'll see. I think we'll probably just do it like we did when we were on break. Mom will add a couple extra phonics and vocabulary lessons into the day (yeah, mom's my preschool teacher!), and that should be good.

On Tues I have my psychological evaluation for the state. See, when I turn 3, I'll still be a Regional Center client but the vendor for my services will be the school district instead of Head Start Early Intervention. The school district needs this evaluation to help create my Individualized Education Plan (IEP) next month. Hopefully I'll be in a good mood and we don't have to wait long in the lobby. The lobby tends to be what kills me. So many sounds, people walking in and out, air gushing in from the automated doors, bright fluorescent lighting, sometime music or a TV. WOW. That can be pretty overloading to the senses. Usually, it looks like I'm having super fun..'cause I am...until I'm not anymore. Ever been on a roller coaster and loved it, until you didn't.......or eaten that last few bites of food because it was so yummy, then feel like you're gonna throw up? That's kinda what its like. I do my best to hold it together, but when I'm in overload something as small as someone saying "hi" to me can send me over the edge. I don't know that its the "hi" that does it as much as what the "hi" means. It seems so innocent, "hi". You know what "hi" really means? It means, "hi, look at me, make eye contact with me and hold it while I smile at you and say something you'll likely not be able to answer which will make me ask you anther question followed by an awkward pause and some facial expression you really wont be able to read correctly so you'll probably take it the wrong way and feel sad/mad/embarrassed/anxious/confused...and heck, maybe I'll laugh and lat you on your head or touch your back" No biggie, no pressure. NOT! I don't think people realize the amount of information communicated by "just saying hi", nor do they realize just how much they are expecting back. Crazy.

That's one of the bummers about autism. People with autism have a hard time "reading" faces and environmental cues. Its easier with the people I see all the time, like mom and dad. See, I've had time to study them. Most of the time I can get their meaning because I know them so well and I have their "formula" down pat. Strangers are a whole other ball game. So, hoping Tues goes well and we can get in and out of there fast!

Nixi's still crawling all over the place. Thank goodness for cold weather and hard wood floors! Since she has to wear warm, fuzzy pants she has no traction on the floors. If I really want her to leave me alone I can move onto the smooth floor and she's stranded on the rugs. I'm guessing this strategy wont work for long so I'm gonna enjoy my ability to adios while I can! She did a really good job with her developmentalist on Friday. Seems like she may be getting another tooth, though. She's been a crab for a few days now. Wow, can she scream loud!

So, exciting week ahead with some changes to come. Hope your week was great and we'll catch up with you again next Sunday!

xoxo
Saf

Did you know that I know my colors???

No comments:

Post a Comment